The grants program offers local councils seed funding to grow a great idea in its first year.
The grant is only available for a new activity that compliments and builds on community Australia Day celebrations and is about inspiring new and imaginative ways for communities to celebrate above and beyond the BBQ, breakfast or awards ceremony. Please note these grants are currently only available to Tasmania's local councils.
Grant applications must meet the following criteria:
- the great idea must be a new element of a local councils Australia Day celebrations
- activities must target the local community and involve community participation
- applications must meet one or more of the Australia Day objectives
- activities must represent value for money and be accurately costed
- activities should ideally take place on Australia Day – 26th January
- the activity must be not-for-profit.
A total of $10,000 was allocated for the 2015 Great Idea Grants between the following five councils:
- Clarence City Council
- Flinders Island Council
- Huon Valley Council
- King Island Council
- Northern Midlands Council
Applications for the 2017 grant round will open in mid 2016. Councils will be notified via email.